Saturday, August 2, 2008

February, 2008

Well, I don't need to worry about weaning, anymore. Someone took care of that for us. On Feb. 28, 2008, Ana shattered her pastern and had to be euthanized.


Poor Jen, she was just devastated. She wouldn't leave he body , and grieved over her for 3 days. It was just heartwrenching to witness, along with my own grief. Ana's life was far too short. She fretted and fussed, and became anxious everytime she saw me come outside. She wanted me to fix it, to make it all better like I promised. But I couldn't .... there was just nothing that could be done.


The entire herd is grieving. Lakota is helping Jen, though. Even though they were never friends, Lakota was very, very nice to Jen for those 3 days. She stood with her, never chased her at feed time, didn't chase her away from attention from me (as per usual), and guided her. On the third day, after Ana was buried, Lakota chased Jen out of the stall, and wouldn't let her stand and mourn over the spot where Ana's body had lain. She told her it was time to get on with her life now, that Ana was gone, and we couldn't bring her back.

Here is a photo of Jen on 2/24. Its all I have right now, I haven't been in the mood to take photos.






Here is the last photo I have of Ana and Jen together, taken on 2/24, 4 days before Ana was gone.




Here is a videoI put together telling Jen and Ana's story.


No comments: