Saturday, August 2, 2008

May 10, 2007

Well on Saturday I thought for sure Jen would foal. She was very, very agitated, her udders filled significantly in short period of time. She was pacing, belly-kicking, chewing her feet, biting her sides, and she looked like she would go into orbit with her tail spinning like a helicoptor... But nothing. She must have been positioning the foal, because her belly changed shape signficantly after that.

She hated being in the roundpen that I set up for foaling, she was just miserable where she couldn't see the other horses. So I had to hurry up and make her paddock foal-safe. She will not go inside a stall, she is afraid, so I'm not going to stress her out with that. She has her tent shelter that she will go in when it rains heavily, and she has a nice flat area with shavings underneath and hay where she sleeps, and to foal out in. I put lights around the fence perimeter so I can see better on the cam, and snow fencing up on the fence to make it foalproof (so baby can't roll under it, or get a hoof caught while flopping around, as they tend to do in the beginning).

Jens udder continues to fill. She is very loose behind, she has been belly-kicking for days, and her tail is in constant motion. I'm exhausted watching her on the cam every 2 hours all night for a week now. Soon, I hope! She continues to gain weight and is doing well. Prayers appreciated for a healthy delivery.












No comments: